Service is a big part of student life at Villa Maria, and students are continuing to contribute to the community despite distance.
- Alyssa and Elayna Kinmartin made Easter cards for residents at St. Martha’s Manor.
- Mikenzie Juskalian sewed face masks for Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital.
- Allie Bielli created greeting cards to give a lift to hospitalized children.
Kara Bielli, Director of Service Learning, is helping to keep the students connected to opportunities to serve despite social distancing. These opportunities include:
- Sewing masks for Bryn Mawr hospital
- Creating greeting cards for hospitalized children
- Volunteering for Zooniverse.com, an online research platform creating discoveries and datasets useful to the wider research community, and many publications.
- Joining Smithsonian Digital Volunteers to help make historical documents and biodiversity data more accessible. Students can transcribe girls’ and women’s history. https://transcription.si.edu/.
- Volunteering for Project Gutenberg, which needs proofreaders and other helpers for its library of over 60,000 free eBooks. https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Volunteering_for_Project_Gutenberg