On Wednesday, November 10th, Villa held Emmaus, its annual day of service and social justice opportunities. Juniors and seniors traveled to various locations off campus for service, while sophomores and freshmen completed projects on campus. The students’ efforts included the following activities and organizations.
- Sew and cut materials for feminine hygiene products to ensure that girls stay in school
- Paint 500 mini flower pots for Pottstown Farm (farmers market) for a fundraiser which supports SNAP incentives and the Two Bite Club for children.
- Pack snack bags
- Providing basic needs to children and families in local neighborhoods. Strives to help local children living with limited resources as well as children and adults with physical and mental disabilities.
- Help with thank you note mailing and assemble baskets. Supports families experiencing the loss of a baby, miscarriages, fertility issues.
- Create cards to cheer and encourage hospitalized children.
- Assemble baggies with lip gloss and nail polish with card for pre-teens and teens.
- The Kisses for Kyle Foundation offers a variety of services to families fighting childhood cancer in the Delaware Valley.
Emmaus Prayer Walk
- Cards and video for IHM Sisters.
- Tie no-sew blankets.
- Discussion of domestic violence: warning signs, steps people can take to protect themselves.
- Organize and pack gently used and new clothing for children.
- Cradles to Crayons works to mitigate Clothing Insecurity in Chicagoland, Massachusetts, and Greater Philadelphia.
Film and Discussion — Girl Rising
- Pack snack bags.
- The froup provides basic needs to children and families in local neighborhoods, striving to help local children living with limited resources as well as children and adults with physical and mental disabilities.
- Prepare Code Blue Shelter in Phoenixville for its opening in mid-November.
- Harvest and clean up late crops at Springton Manor Farm.
- Light cleaning and organizing of areas like the shed and basement, and helping the group go through their Christmas decorations to take inventory for when they decorate.
- Mulch, weed, remove vines, and plant at this garden in Villanova.
- Work in the stables cleaning stalls, feeding the horses, and other tasks.
- Set up Holiday Lane, paint, and perform other service projects on campus.