Villa Maria Academy High School, a private Catholic college preparatory school for girls, is located in Malvern, Chester County, in Pennsylvania. Inspired by the charism of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, for more than 140 years the school has empowered young women to lead lives of spiritual growth, intellectual inquiry and Christian service by providing an education that blends academic excellence with Christian values.
In 1924 the Sisters acquired the property of William A. Warner Jr. in Green Tree and in 1925 opened the doors of Villa Maria Academy High School. The school remains at this location. Over the years, the 45-acre suburban campus has added several buildings, which house a cafeteria, library, auditorium, gymnasium, Langton Memorial Laboratory, biology laboratory, lecture hall, locker room, offices and classrooms.
Founding and Early Years
The foundation of the academy dates to July, 1872. At that time, the Sisters transferred their mother house, novitiate, and boarding school from Reading to West Chester, PA. Occupying the property formerly owned by the Pennsylvania Military Academy, the school flourished in West Chester until 1914, when Villa Maria moved to Immaculata, PA.
In 1924, the Sisters acquired the property of William A. Warner, Jr. in Green Tree, the school’s current location. This estate was a replica in name and style of Sulgrave, the Washington ancestral home in England. The property included 123 acres, the mansion house, and its adjoining buildings. All were adapted to the purpose of the Academy.
Villa Maria Academy opened at Green Tree on May 5, 1925. Good Counsel Hall, completed in 1933, included dormitory, classroom, and library facilities. In 1935, an Activities Building with auditorium and gymnasium was opened.
Regina Mundi Hall, constructed in 1955, housed classrooms, guidance rooms, the Langton Memorial Laboratory, offices, and the cafeteria. An addition to Regina Mundi Hall was necessary in 1959. This new section included classrooms and administrative offices. In 1966, Regina Pacis Hall, which included Regina Pacis Library and the infirmary, was completed. A 1972 expansion added a faculty lounge, biology laboratory, lecture hall, locker room, and more library space.
In 1979, Villa Maria Lower School was moved to a wing of the House of Studies at Immaculata. At this time, the high school acquired St. Joseph Hall, which had been built in 1965. This acquisition gave the high school nine more classrooms, an art studio, and administrative offices.
In 1985, plans were undertaken to build the Marian Center, an Arts/Athletic complex. The Athletic Center, Phase 1 of the total project, opened December, 1987. Phase 2 was completed May, 1997, and includes an auditorium, music instruction and practice rooms, and an art classroom and studio. New soccer/lacrosse, softball, and hockey fields, an all weather track, and five tennis courts were also constructed.
In 1999, Maria Hall was renovated and now houses administrative offices and a conference room. In the same year, a second computer lab was added to Regina Mundi to enhance computer usage and instruction. An addition to St. Joseph’s Hall was completed in spring, 2002. This expansion provided four technologically up-to-date science laboratories and a third student computer lab as well as additional classroom space. During the summer of 2002, the former science labs in Regina Mundi were converted to classrooms and a new, larger chapel and a guidance suite were constructed. Enhancements to Regina Mundi continued during the summer of 2003. The cafeteria was renovated and a new facade to its entrance constructed, a sprinkler system installed, the remaining old windows replaced, and the electrical system updated.
Through all the physical changes, Villa Maria has maintained its focus on nurturing faith, creativity, intellectual curiosity and compassion to ensure that young women achieve more than they ever thought possible.