Our students are expected to pursue a course of study that will continually reinforce acquisition of knowledge at the highest levels, with a mind toward preparation for a learning terrain that is defined by tomorrow’s limitless growth of technology and innovation.
- The Scholars Diploma curricular track challenges students with academic potential through the Scholars Seminar, laying the foundation for independent research in their high school experience.
- An articulation with Immaculata University allows eligible students to take Dual Enrollment coursework on site at Villa Maria and receive college credit for a nominal fee. The Counseling and College Counseling Departments offer strategic guidance throughout the student’s four year journey to assist in developing her potential so that her post-secondary outcomes are met.
As Villa Maria Academy approaches its sesquicentennial in 2022, the Academic program looks to ensure a premium 21st Century educational experience that produces women who are equal parts analytical and empathic. Coursework at every level of instruction requires a learner who can think and work both independently and collaboratively.
The Academic program is supported by:
- Curricular experiences that are equal parts collaborative, creative, global in scope, interdisciplinary and technologically appropriate
- Daily scheduling, learning spaces and technology that support meaningful learning at higher levels of retention and application
- A professional learning community of faculty that provides the time and resources for teachers to grow in their knowledge of innovative, research-based pedagogy
- An expectation that each Villa Maria Academy student does not operate in a world of one, but is one in the world through her commitment to faith and service
Propelled by its mission of educating young women to be critical thinkers, creative problem solvers, and collaborative citizens with strong communication skills, the Academic Catalog is arranged to equip the student with the competence and skills necessary to support that mission and to continue her learning through life. In addition to rigorous coursework in a core canon of subjects – Theology, English, Mathematics, Science, World Language, Social Studies, Fine Arts, Technology, Physical Education and Health & Wellness – Villa Maria students are exposed to authentic experiences, like the Senior Capstone Project, that define the broadest application of their learning and research skills. These academic requirements are enhanced by annual retreats, Service Learning and Global Travel Opportunities, which are woven organically throughout the curriculum.
Partnership with our parent stakeholders is considered vital to the success of our students. Parent education opportunities are offered throughout the year with noted researchers and authors. Participation in these programs enables families to better support their daughters in meeting the goal of a Villa Maria Academy High School education, which is to become a confident, faith-filled, college-ready and independent woman.
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Ms. Linda Henderson
Saint Joseph’s University
M.Ed. Secondary Mathematics Education
M.Ed. Instructional Technology
North Carolina State University