Villa Maria offers a STEM Scholarship to identify and recognize a freshman applicant who demonstrates a strong aptitude, passion, and ability to excel in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
Class of 2027 scholarship applications for the $4,000 STEM Scholarship are due by November 11, 2022. Please note that all eligibility criteria must be met before a student is considered for the STEM Scholarship.
- Demonstrate a strong foundation in math, science, and technology by obtaining a 90 or A- average or above in each those disciplines during the student's 7th & 8th grade years (7th grade and 1st quarter/trimester 8th grade report cards are to be submitted as part of the scholarship application.)
- Receive a CMNP score (National Percentile - Battery Composite) of 85 or higher on the Villa Maria Academy Entrance-Scholarship Exam. (We will be sending the exam scores of those who take the HSPT at Villa Maria on October 16 or October 22.)
- Be enrolled in Algebra I in 8th grade.
- Be an active participant in a math, science, engineering, or technology extracurricular activity. (*Due to COVID-19, we understand that some schools and extracurricular activities have been suspended. If this applies to you but you meet all the rest of the requirements, please contact Mrs. Kelly Broadway ’05 at email@example.com for an alternate solution.)
Students interested in the STEM Scholarship must complete the following:
Three semi-finalists will be chosen and notified by late November 2022. Those semi-finalists will then be invited to interview with one or more members of the science, math, and technology departments. The scholarship will be awarded by mid-December 2022.
One student will be the recipient of the STEM Scholarship. It will be renewable each year based on the following criteria:
- Student understands and follows the IHM Charism and upholds Villa Maria Academy’s Core Values.
- Student is in good standing academically and has a conduct grade no lower than passing (P).
- Student maintains a 3.5 GPA overall as well as a 3.5 average GPA in STEM classes.
- Student participates in at least one science, math, or technology club her four years at Villa Maria, as well as is an integral part of the science, technology, or math programs.
- Student must complete 8 credits within the STEM curriculum at Villa Maria prior to graduation (standard is 7 credits). STEM credits can consist of college prep, honors, or AP courses.
Please contact Mrs. Kelly Broadway ’05 at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have regarding the STEM Scholarship.